Cross Country Mountain Bike Treks
'Man from Snowy River' Trail
“Inner calm descended, and
I knew I was in a special place”.
The “Man from Snowy River” track is a remote, multi-day, cross country ride that has no equal in Australia. 80km of single-track starts in beautiful Head waters of the Murray River and traverses down the Western slopes through diverse landscape, vegetation and fauna habitat. This is a great exposure to a range of MTB trails and 4WD tracks as we head down the Murray River high country to Corryong on this 3 day mountain bike journey.
To venture along these tracks is to enter into a forest wonderland. All along its course, the rider is afforded fantastic views of both the mountains and rivers; in fact the tracks pass through some of the most spectacular country that this portion of Victoria, on the western slopes of the Snowy Mountains, has to offer. It winds over high gaps, negotiates its way around precipitous bluffs, passes through tall timber and skirts above spectacular river gorges.
This journey, through dry and typically hard and tough Australian bush, is alternately punctuated by the adventurer being led down into cool fern gullies, the home of crystal streams whose banks are carpeted with hazel, blanket wood, musk, maiden hair and ancient tree fern. Some of the later “citizens” of the lush under story have obtained tremendous heights. Being greeted by Kangaroo, Wallaby, Emus and Lyrebird is an unexpected delight to the adventurous traveller, and is truly a trek through the “forest primeval”.
We’ll get you there, fire up your engine, tantalize you, enrich you, exhaust you and send you home with a smile as wide as the Snowy Mountains.
- Explore the single track trails from the Headwaters of the Murray River with magnificent mountain valley views.
- Cycle the stunning Murray gates Gorge and Hermit creek rapids and experience the remoteness of the amazing stream valleys that flow into the upper Murray River.
- Discover the remote Bunroy pass as you cross through rolling high country farmland.
- Spend a nights beneath the stars of one of the world's most dramatic nightscapes in this MTB mecca and take advantage of its awesome forests lined valley trails.
- Experience the remoteness of the amazing Indi valley followed by a stunning descent to the river valley floor
- Over night in the adventure capital of the high country at Corryong for a celebratory dinner.
- Supply your own bike or hire from the Mountain bike fleet (MTB hire is A$35 per day)
This trip runs on demand for three or more people.
Your guide will transport and cater delicious and nutritious meals and snacks from dinner on day-one to lunch on day-three. Accommodation is included – one night in a local lodge and two nights in bunk style hut and a camp while out on the track. We’ll provide sleeping bags.
Duduroa Tribe Trail
“Places with mysterious names like Black Mag,
that speak of the past rich in myth and legend”.
The Duduroa Trails are centred around the pre-European Aboriginal trails and historic Biggara Coach Road route, which until the mid-20th century, were the only stockman routes between the Tom Groggin and Towong.
The area is steeped in Aboriginal history stemming back to some of the earliest arrivals of Aboriginal to the Alpine hunting grounds. The Old Biggara Coach Road”, the original coach road through Biggara (Red earth to decorate bodies), is an unforgettable experience as it travels along top of the mountain ridge from the early Mt Elliott Gold diggings to the place of the historic Chinese gold mining village. The rewards are many with wonderful panoramic views of the Nariel Valley one side and the Murray Valley the other and the sense of passing back in time and travelling over what was at one time a major Aboriginal trail route up to the Bogong moth hunting grounds.
The trail then continues along a cycleway with spectacular views over the Murray River Valley. The early Aboriginal, Chinese and European history of the region and the immense scenic attraction of the bush clad hill country environments make this a trip to remember.
This tour is a fixed-base itinerary, we spend two nights in modern motel units at the Corryong. The location is spectacular, positioned on the edge of the Nariel Valley overlooking the imposing Mt Mittamatite & the tranquil the Nariel Valley. At your doorstep are canoeing, swimming, Fishing and walking trails, plus some lovely quiet cycling roads. Using our support vehicle, each day we venture out to explore the network of cycle routes that make up the many Trails, check out our trip notes for details of the itinerary.
- Enjoy the wonderful undulating hill rides on the Old Biggara Coach Road
- Visit the village site of Corryong with its excellent museum, historic general store and Aboriginal Art and crafts
- Explore by bike the remote back country of the Indi and Thougla valleys
- take an optional ride down the Dare Devil MTB Track, one of regions premier downhill Mountain Bike rides
- Cycle around the beautiful Nariel Valley on a cycle trail alongside the Murray Valley road
- Take an optional Canoe tour and learn the early\ settler history of tranquil Murray Valley known for its abundance of lush farmlands, bird-life and scenery
- Visit the beautifully restored Davis Cottage (an historic early settler cottage) and enjoy a meal based on traditional & local foods across the street at the Jardine cafe
- Take an optional night spotting tour to seek out the Platypus and Wombat and sugar gliders.
- Start and finish in Corryong, tour includes 2 nights, 1 dinners, 1 lunches & 2 breakfasts and includes snacks